Sunday, June 5, 2011

In the beginning...

Welcome to the kitchen!

Being a professor, summer time provides a more flexible schedule for me to indulge in my favorite hobby. For me, cooking requires a different set of skills than my philosophical work does. It offers up a kind of balance for me -- something that tempers my otherwise hyper-reflective modus operandi. While I'm cooking, everything I do is about being in touch with the sensuous side of thought. You can't think your way to the right consistency for gravy or to the right texture for a salad. You have to determine how it looks, smells, feels, and of course tastes. Cooking is my one seamless connection to being "in the moment." It's probably as "in the moment" as I get. 

My plan for this blog is very simple: I write down the things I cook. I don't have a food mission or agenda per se. I like healthy food. I like simple food. I like food that doesn't come ready-made in a box. I like food that you can find outside and that doesn't have ingredients I can't pronounce. I'm not talented enough to be a chef and I don't know enough about science to be a nutritionist. I just like cooking. And I like eating.

So, there you have it. The recipes here are mostly my creations. If they are adapted from someone else, I'll let you know: no recipe plagiarism! I have to cite my work!

3 comments:

  1. Alright, Lady! I'm putting you in my Google reader and look forward to your recipes. :D I have a few recipes on my blog, though they're old and we've been put on a more restrictive diet since then. If you're interested, they're under "Food Friday". You may have inspired me to start it back up again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm honored to be in your reader! I was taking a look at your blog and I send you HUGE hugs. I will definitely be browsing through those recipes.

    ReplyDelete