Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Watermelon Granita

It's been awhile, eh? I wish I could tell you that I had a great reason for not posting any new recipes, like a fabulous vacation or something like that. Not so much. I was out of commission for a week with viral colitis. Not fun! I'm healing now (slower than I'd like) and feeling better everyday.

I made this recipe before I got sick. We had been invited to a cook out and asked to bring fruit as a side dish. I bought a watermelon. Because I'm an anal person who loves to cook, I couldn't just slice the watermelon and put it on a platter -- not good enough! I decided to use a melon baller to scoop out bite-sized pieces of watermelon. I scooped out all the flesh and then placed the balls back in the empty rind. Neat, huh? It looked nice.

Trouble was, I was left with two things: extra watermelon juice and little strips of watermelon flesh that I scraped out of the rind. Watermelon leftovers = watermelon granita!

Notes: This recipe helped me out with the process. When I made this recipe, I was sans blender (not any more, stay tuned for the next recipe!). Thus my granita was chunkier than normal granitas. I didn't care; frozen watermelon is delicious.

If you wanted to make more, you could use more watermelon flesh.

This is so easy, but it does take time to make. It's a great summer time dessert.

Ingredients:
The juice and leftover flesh from 1 watermelon
2 tablespoons of sugar

Directions:

Add the watermelon flesh and juice to a 9 x 9 glass baking dish. Using a fork or your hands, break the flesh into small pieces and mix it well with the juice. Add the sugar.

Freeze for two hours. After two hours, use a fork to break up the mixture so that it's fluffy like shaved ice. Put it back in the freezer for two more hours and then fluff it again. Repeat the process until the whole mixture is evenly frozen.

Scoop out and enjoy ice cold deliciousness!


No comments:

Post a Comment