Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Lisa over at 100 Days of Real Food is a genius and I am indebted to her forever for this recipe.

It. Is. Amazing.

I've been looking for more slow cooker recipes now that school has started again. It's so easy to just throw everything together before I go to work and when I come home dinner is ready!

I'm skeptical of meat in the slow cooker because I've had some bad luck with it. So I was nervous to try this recipe. But Scott loves pulled pork and he convinced me to do it. I'm SO glad I did.

Notes: This is quite literally the greatest slow cooker meat I have ever eaten.

If you get a pork butt or shoulder that's particular thick, you might want to cut it in two pieces. Mine was pretty normal, so I didn't do anything to it.

The pork doesn't have a sauce per se, so if you're thinking you're going to get a thick BBQ sauce like the bottled kind, you're barking up the wrong tree (or pig). You end up with really tender pulled pork with a great flavor, but it's not saucy. I dashed some hot sauce on mine and it was all I needed. The flavor of the pork is so great, you don't need much else!

You'll end up with plenty of leftovers, so plan accordingly. We're going to make pork tacos tomorrow night!

Ingredients:
1 3-3.5 pound pork shoulder or pork butt (I used bone-in)
3 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon of chili powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian herb mix
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
10-15 shakes of hot sauce (to taste)
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion

Directions:

Take the pork from the fridge and let it sit out for about 30 minutes to come closer to room temperature.

Slice the onion into thick rings and lay them on the bottom of the slow cooker, making a layer for the pork to rest on.

Stir together all the dry ingredients (cumin, salt, chili powder, pepper, garlic powder, Italian herbs). In another bowl, stir together the wet ingredients (oil, vinegar, hot sauce, and honey). Put the wet and dry together and stir or whisk to make a paste.

Put the pork in the slow cooker and pour the paste all over the pork. Rub it in and then set the slow cooker on low for 8-10 hours.

When the time is up, shred the meat with a fork. Serve and enjoy!

Served here with roasted potatoes and lemon garlic green beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment