Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Grilled Portobello Steaks

If I had an alternative life, I would have become a biologist. Specifically, I would have gone into mycology. I LOVE fungi. I think they are the coolest things on the planet. It was by far my favorite lab in biology class in college.

Since I picked philosophy instead, my love of fungi will have to be a hobby. Cooking mushrooms are definitely a part of that hobby.

Notes: I get it. Some people just don't get down with mushrooms. It's usually either because they are (a) a fungus and that creeps people out or (b) the slightly rubbery texture. But if you're on the fence about mushrooms, grilled portobellos might be the dish to win you over.

I improvised this marinade and it turned out great. The mushroom caps will shrink a little, so be sure you get nice big ones.

This recipe serves 4 (one mushroom per person), but if you have hungry folks, you might want to make extra.


Ingredients:
4 portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
10-12 dashes hot sauce
4-5 cloves garlic, sliced
2 tablespoons honey mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon herbs de provence
Pepper to taste

Directions:

Clean the mushrooms by wiping them off with a damp paper towel. Remove the stems. Using a spoon or fork, scrape the gills out of the mushrooms.

In a small bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade. Put the mushroom caps into a plastic food storage bag and pour in the marinade. Massage the food storage bag to make sure the the mushrooms are covered in the the marinade. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Heat a grill pan on high or an outdoor grill on medium-high. Grill the mushrooms for about 3-4 minutes per side. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment