Thursday, July 22, 2021

Loaded Veggie Burritos


We've officially moved to Durham for my sabbatical year, so the professor is cooking from a new kitchen. It's got way more counter space than my old one. Unfortunately, it has an electric stove. I learned to cook with electric, so you'd think it wouldn't be a big deal, but I really love the precision and control that natural gas gives you. No matter! I'll re-adapt


Since we're still unpacking, I decided I needed a make-ahead, lots-of-leftovers dish. Veggie burritos are perfect for that. You can make them and assemble them, wrap them in foil, store them in the fridge and just heat them up for dinner. They only take about 30 minutes in the oven and then you're ready to eat. 

Notes: The best thing about making burritos at home is that you can control everything. You can add whatever veggies you want and season them how you want.

I like a yellow rice in my burritos and I have a favorite packaged version that I use (it's this one). If you don't like yellow rice, use your favorite. Spanish rice would be equally delicious. You can also just leave the rice out: add extra beans or extra mushrooms instead.

For burrito assembly, I like to make a little assembly line next to the stove. I divide my mixture into roughly equal portions depending on how many tortillas I have. That way you don't run out of filling before you get to the last tortilla. 

I buy blocks of cheese that I shred myself. I don't like the texture of pre-shredded cheese. If you use pre-shredded cheese, you may need to use the whole package. You should have about 1/4 cup of cheese per burrito.

Never rolled a burrito before? This video might help.

Ingredients:

2 bell peppers, any color you like

1 onion

5-6 garlic cloves

1 package of your favorite mushrooms (I used shitake)

About 2 cups of cooked rice (yellow, Spanish, white, or brown)

1 15 oz. can black beans

1.5 tablespoons cumin

1.5 tablespoons chili powder

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon paprika (I use smoked)

1.5 teaspoons salt

Hot sauce, to taste

1 package of burrito-sized tortillas (8 or 10 count)

4-5 oz of cheese, shredded (I used pepper jack)

Olive oil for cooking the veggies 

Directions:

Dice your onions and bell peppers. Slice your mushrooms. Mince your garlic. Heat olive oil over medium-high. When the pan is hot, add all your spices (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon, and paprika) to the oil and stir. Add the peppers and onions and cook until they're tender (about 8-10 minutes). Add your mushrooms and garlic and cook about 5-7 more minutes until the mushrooms get some nice brown color and shrink up. Add the salt and hot sauce toward the end of the cooking. 

While your veggies are cooking, shred your cheese and divide it into little piles according to how many tortillas you have. Drain your beans in a strainer. 

Once your veggies are done, stir in the cooked rice and beans. Turn the heat off and allow the mixture to cool while you prepare your burrito assembly line. 

Tear off squares of foil (about 10 x 10) according to how many tortillas you have. Divide your veggie mixture into little piles (just do this right there in the pan on the stove) according to your number of tortillas. Get your stack of tortillas and start assembling. 

Put a pile of the veggie mixture in the middle of the tortilla toward the bottom of the circle (but not all the way at the bottom). Add some cheese. Fold the bottom of the tortilla over the veggies and cheese. Fold in both sides to make a little package. For the last step, roll the little package over and up toward the top of the tortilla. The top of the tortilla becomes the "seam" on the bottom of your burrito. 

Put the rolled burrito on the corner of a piece of foil. Roll it up halfway, tuck in the sides of the foil, and then roll it the rest of the way. Put them in the fridge (I stack mine up straight on the shelf) They'll store nicely for about five days and freeze for even longer.

When you're ready to eat, heat the oven to 375. Pull the burritos from the fridge (keep them wrapped in the foil) and put them on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, unwrap, and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment