Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Muffin Tin Eggs

It's fun to entertain with breakfast or brunch, but there aren't a lot of breakfast dishes that lend themselves to easy prep for large groups. Baked eggs solves that problem!

Notes: I debated posting this because frankly I didn't care for the results. The eggs turned out very spongy and I was not a fan. But I figure some people might like their eggs well done. I've done some more digging and it turns out you should use some kind of base in bottom of the tin. I would recommend a little pile of kale, since kale and eggs are such a delicious combination! I have also seen recipes with sauteed onions and bell pepper in the bottom. Having something on the bottom will keep your egg from the direct heat of the bottom of the tin.

I did two types of eggs: one just cracked on its own and one scrambled with some kale and parmesan cheese (like a mini frittata). The regular one was much better. The scrambled eggs had an even spongier texture. Not tasty!

The lesson here is that you need to experiment in order to ward off the tough texture. Either shorten the cooking time, turn the heat down, or keep the eggs off the direct heat. I'm posting the recipe the way I did it.


Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 or 2 leaves of kale
1 teaspoon parmesan cheese
salt
pepper
butter

Directions:

Heat the oven to 350.

Use the butter to grease the two muffin tins that you will use for the eggs.

Crack the regular egg directly into the muffin tin and season with salt and pepper. Beat the other egg in a small bowl. Tear your kale into small pieces. Add the kale, cheese, salt, and pepper and mix to combine. Pour the the mixture into the other prepared muffin tin.

Bake for 12-15 minutes until the eggs are set. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment