Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Spelt Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's been awhile since I did some baking, so how about a cookie recipe?

As I've mentioned, I'm an impulse baker. I was at the store today picking up a few things. I ducked into the baking aisle by mistake. Once I saw the bags of chocolate chips, it was all over.

When I got home, however, I realized that I only had about half of the amount of butter that my normal Alton Brown recipe calls for. Where others would get discouraged and decide to bake another time, the impulse baker taps into her inner chemist. Since I couldn't use my normal recipe, it was the perfect time to experiment.

Notes: These cookies are perfectly suited to my taste. I don't like cookies that are too sweet and these are just right.

Because it calls for whole wheat flour, the batter will likely be drier than you're used to. If you think it should be a little more moist, add more milk -- maybe four or five tablespoons instead of two.

Normally, I'm not specific about ingredients, but I highly recommend using natural peanut butter for this recipe. I only buy natural peanut butter, which is why I used it. Regular peanut butter may have a different oil content than natural peanut butter, which will mess with the fat content in your batter. If you want to experiment, be my guest, but just be aware that you might end up with cookies that spread out in the oven more than you're expecting.

This makes a whole mess of cookies, so be prepared to share!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of spelt or whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
8 tablespoons of natural peanut butter (either smooth or chunky)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons of milk
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups of semi or bitter sweet chocolate chips (I used mini)

Directions:

Melt your butter in a small sauce pan. While the butter is melting, add the brown sugar and peanut butter to your mixing bowl (I used my stand mixer). In another medium bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Once the butter is melted, add it to the sugar and peanut butter. Beat them together on medium speed until they are well incorporated and the mixture starts to thicken. Add your eggs one at a time, incorporating each one into the batter. Beat in the vanilla and the milk. Finally, add your dry mixture in stages. Once the last of the flour is mixed in, stir in the chocolate chips.

Refrigerate the dough for one hour.

Heat the oven to 325. Scoop the cookies onto cookie sheets. They should be the size of a heaping tablespoon or a small meatball. Bake for 14-17 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown and the edges are light golden brown. Allow them to cool 5 minutes.


Serve with a nice glass of milk and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment