Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Carrot Fries

I am on a constant quest for non-standard ways of cooking vegetables. Roasting is by far my favorite method, but I like the idea of making fries and chips out of vegetables. I had some eggplant fries not long ago. They were so good, I wanted to try my own.

At the co-op today, I found a giant carrot. It was the size of a small yam. Even the cashier noticed it: "Wow! That's a huge carrot!" I decided to make my mutant carrot into carrot fries.


Notes: These are the consistency of sweet potato fries. They were good, but I longed for them to be really crispy like shoestring fries. I think the only way I'm going to manage that is if I actually fry them rather than bake them. I'll probably try baking them on a cooling rack next time to see if I can get them a little crispier. I'll let you know how it turns out. But if you like sweet potato fries, you'll like these just as well!

Ingredients:
1 giant carrot or 2-3 normal sized carrots, peeled.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions: Preheat the oven to 425.

Cut your carrots into thick matchsticks. I slice the carrot in half and then half each piece lengthwise. Slice each of those pieces into thick slabs and then slice each slab lengthwise to get french fry pieces.

Toss the carrots with the olive oil and spices. Lay them out on a foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 30 minutes until browned. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment