Saturday, January 21, 2012

Q.E.D.: Coconut Couscous

As I've mentioned before, I love dishes that I can put in a bowl and eat while sitting on my couch. And winter is prime couch weather. The coconut milk adds more texture than flavor to this dish -- it makes the couscous creamier than usual.

This is dish has a lot going for it. Pro #1: it's quick and easy. Pro #2: it admits of a lot of versatility. You could flavor it any way you like and add whatever vegetables strike your fancy. It's also a great way to use up any leftover produce you have. Pro #3: since couscous and coconut milk are the primary ingredients, it's a pantry staple. That's a lot of pros.

Notes: I used curry paste in this dish and afterwards I was wishing I had used something else. It still tasted great and I didn't use enough to make it really hot. I think I wanted something more herb-y. No matter! I'll try something else the next time I make this dish.

Ingredients:
1 box of plain couscous (it usually comes in 10 oz.)
1 13-16 oz. can of coconut milk
1 15 oz. can of white beans
1/2 bunch of kale, stemmed
3 cloves of carlic
3 tablespoons of butter or olive oil
1 teaspoon curry paste
Salt
Pepper

Directions:

Start by chopping your garlic and your kale. Drain and rinse your white beans.

Add your fat of choice to a skillet and turn it to medium. Once it's hot, toss in the kale and saute for about 30 seconds.

Scoot (technical term) the kale to the edges of the pan and add in the couscous. Stir it around to coat it in your remaining fat. Toast the couscous for just a minute and then add in your coconut milk. At this point, you may need to add a little water to thin the mixture out. I would just fill the empty can of coconut milk up about halfway. Add the beans and curry paste. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.

Turn the heat down to medium-low. Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the couscous has absorbed the liquid. Keep an eye on it because your burner might be hotter than mine. It should be creamy and tender, but not mushy.


Add to your favorite bowl and enjoy (preferably on the couch)!

No comments:

Post a Comment