Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dill Scrambled Eggs

Fresh herbs are awesome. They add tons more flavor than dried herbs. The trouble is they are sometimes difficult to use up. The co-op where I buy my groceries sells bunches of fresh herbs that are the size of a small bouquet. If I buy fresh dill for my egg salad, I better be prepared to eat dill in everything else I make that week.

Case in point: I mistakenly bought some dill last week forgetting I was going out of town. I didn't manage to use it all up, but I at least used a little more with this dish.

Notes: This isn't so much a recipe as an idea. If you have fresh herbs to use up, don't forget about breakfast!

Also, I will tell you my strategy for making (the perfect?) scrambled eggs. 

Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
1 heaping tablespoon of fresh dill
Salt
Pepper

Directions:

Take your eggs out of the fridge. Crack them into a measuring cup and whisk. [Many people add milk at this point. Nay, my friends. It detracts from the creaminess of the eggs.] Add the salt, pepper, and dill and whisk to combine. Let them hang out on the counter while you heat your pan. [Most people crack them too late. They need to take the chill off.]

Melt the butter in the pan over medium-low heat. [Many people rush the cooking of their eggs. Rookie mistake. Take your time.] Once the butter is melted, add the eggs to the pan. Let them sit for a minute. [Most people want to stir them immediately. Let them warm through so that they start to congeal.]

Stir the eggs by drawing the sides into the center and gently folding them over as you go. Once you make it all the way around the pan once, stir the eggs in a circle starting in the middle to redistribute them in the pan. Keep doing this motion until they start to look like scrambled eggs.

Take them out of the pan when they still look a little moist. [Most people take them out only when they look dry. Newsflash! You'll have dry eggs.] Serve them up warm and enjoy!

I'd eat those green eggs any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment