Sunday, August 18, 2013

Brown Sugar Pound Cake

People disagree about which version of Van Halen is the best: David Lee Roth as front man or Sammy Hagar as front man.

I don't care because I hate them both.

For some reason, Greensboro LOVED Van Halen (I think they loved both versions). When we lived there, you would hear them on the radio constantly. Van Halen actually opened their tours in Greensboro because they knew they would sell out. Van Halen was everywhere and I couldn't stand it.

That said, there is exactly one and only one occasion where I will allow Van Halen to be played in my house: when I'm baking poundcake.

Notes: Scott's birthday is this week, so I was looking for cake recipes. I stumbled on this one from Pioneer Woman. Before you could say "happy birthday," I decided I needed to make poundcake TONITE.

I tweaked it a bit. I used brown sugar instead of white and ginger ale instead of lemon-lime soda. I also replaced the flavorings with vanilla. I baked it in two loaf pans rather than a Bundt pan. It. Was. Amazing.

Ingredients:
3 sticks of butter, softened
3 cups of brown sugar
3 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1 cup (8 oz.) of ginger ale
5 eggs

Directions: Heat oven to 325.

With the mixer on medium, cream the butter. Add the sugar one cup at a time, allowing it to incorporate. Cream together until lighter and fluffy.

Drop the mixer speed down and add in one egg at a time. Mix in vanilla.

Add the flour one cup at a time until it's blended in. Scrape the bowl down and add in the ginger ale. Mix everything until is just combined.

Divide batter into two greased loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour until the top of the cake is set. When they're done, allow them to cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Loosen the sides with a thin spatula or knife and turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack. Cool for five more minutes, slice, serve, and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment