Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Q.E.D.: Mushroom and Broccoli Fried Rice

One of the things that people aren't up front about when you start learning how to cook is how often you'll screw up. When I first started cooking, I definitely screwed up. A LOT.

That time I tried to substitute a cup of dried herbs for a cup of fresh herbs in an herb sauce and it was like eating confetti? Totally.

Or that time I tried to use frozen vegetables in a stir fry and none of them cooked? You bet.

And the time I didn't chill my oatmeal cookie dough and ended up with one huge half baked cookie mass? Not pretty.

There were times we had to toss it all and order pizza. And there were times we ate some things that just weren't that tasty. But that's OK. Just because things don't turn out right at the beginning, it doesn't mean you should throw in the towel and give up on cooking.

And here's the other dirty secret that you might not learn from reading food blogs with pretty pictures (unlike mine) and perfect recipes: you STILL screw up, even if you've been cooking a long time.

This dish? It was a screw up. I originally made beef and broccoli fried rice. Trouble is, I thought using stew beef would work out just fine. Boy was I wrong. The beef was well-seasoned, but it was like biting into an inner tube. So, I did what any cook would do. I picked the beef out, fed some to the dogs, tossed the rest, and rewrote the recipe. For every good recipe, there's one that didn't turn out so well.

Notes: If I had my druthers, I'd make this with scallions instead of regular onions, but regular onions is what I had. I would have also used wild mushrooms, but again, crimini was all I had.

If you don't have or can't find toasted sesame oil, you could just use some sesame seeds.

You can make the rice ahead of time and chill it in fridge or just use some plain leftover rice if you have it. This is still Q.E.D. even if you don't have the rice already made. If you can find the veggies pre-cut, it's even quicker.

Ingredients:
1 cup white or brown uncooked minute rice
1 cup water
1 pound of mushrooms
1 small onion or 1 bunch scallions
2 cups broccoli florets (about 2 small broccoli crowns)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 cloves garlic
2-inch piece of ginger
Salt
Pepper
Red pepper flakes
High-temp oil like vegetable oil or coconut oil

Directions:

Start with the minute rice. Bring water to a boil, stir in the rice, take off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. When it cools a bit, put it in the fridge and let it chill while you do everything else.

Dice the onion, slice the mushrooms, and chop the broccoli florets. Heat a skillet on high with a tablespoon of oil. Mince the garlic and ginger while the oil heats.

Add the garlic, ginger, and onion to the skillet and stir one minute. Add the mushrooms and let them brown (about 2-3 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Add the broccoli and cook 2-3 more minutes (if the broccoli pieces are larger, you might want to throw the skillet lid on it and steam it for about a minute).

Pull the rice out of the fridge and add it the pan. Let it sit for a minute, then stir. Add in the soy sauce and stir for 2 minutes. Add in the sesame oil and red pepper flakes (to taste) and stir to combine.

Serve and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment